Tuesday, January 31, 2012

this poem is more of a story of a mindset and how it worked its way out into a persons life. The idea is that of consumption. If you look at our cities, our advertisements, everything, you will notice the common theme of consumption and how we are taught to consume at all costs, since we deserve it. This is just about how consumption takes its toll on this one man.

my hands cannot produce
my mind can no longer create
i have become a recluse
a child in a mans place

i had grand and vast ideas
high hopes and large dreams
but what i did only reveals
my beliefs underlying themes

it began with what i ate
i never feasted, but only consumed
i drank and lavished myself until it was late
and when i woke i simply resumed

i worked hoping to find more
so i could hold what i was told was good
i slaved until my hands were torn
just to live in a better neighborhood

i married for love i thought
but it was just so i could fulfill my lust
she wasn't what i really sought
and my heart still laid in the dust

i brought three children to this earth
giving to them seemed satisfying
but i wanted them to be perfect at their birth
so nothing i said was sanctifying

every good intention was duplicit
all of it was meant to fulfill me
everything i said had something to elicit
i never gave or offered an apology

i consumed it all
until every good thing was devoured
my life began to fall
the only thing left was my sin, totally empowered

i sat at my desk
unable to forget my sorrow
because of the lives i've wrecked
and pray no one looks at me as one to follow

death looked like the way redeem
all the pain i forced into peoples life
there was no way for me to be cleaned
so i began to use a knife

as i began to take my breath
a man spoke a few simple words
" it's already paid, there is none left
my life was given to pay for your death"

i wept as i lay powerless
unable to justify my life
yet i lay here guiltless
with no turmoil, not a hint of strife

i finally was able to rest
to lay in silence
with an alien righteousness impressed
my soul and god were in compliance

with my blood leaving
a new one entered
i am gladly clinging
on the hope of a new world he's bringing

No comments:

Post a Comment